Many people believe that owning rental properties is like having a ball and chain around your foot. You can’t get away, you can’t take a break or even a short vacation. Well, check this out:
And no, I didn’t photo-shop the picture. The water really IS that unreal turquoise color. I’ve never seen anything like it. And I’ll definitely be going back again! So, how does a landlord do this? Easy:
- Be organized. Have your ducks in a row before you go. If you leave on a vacation with a lot of loose ends, you won’t relax.
- I don’t recommend going in the first week of a month. That’s when rents are due, and you’re busier at that time.
- Have a good handyman who will cover for you when you’re gone.
- Be availabe while you’re gone, but not TOO available. I check messages a couple times/day, and if I have repair issues I call my guy to take care of them. (Some handymen don’t mind getting direct calls from tenants — Craig does, so I respect that. I wouldn’t want my tenants to abuse the privilege.)
- DON’T have your cell with you all the time. If you’re going to conduct business 24/7 while you’re away, why go away?
I take several vacations each year. I work hard and play just as hard. Be organized and run your business efficiently — the payoff is not just money in your pocket. It’s free time to enjoy this life and the fruits of your labor.